Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sha-Boo-ya!

We didn't go out on Friday night, but I still didn't make it to sleep until about 4am. I am clearly not on Tokyo time yet, but I am also not on Wisconsin time anymore. I think my body thinks that I am in Hawaii...

Anyway, I woke up around 11 this morning because everyone else was ready to go out and explore some more. We took the train the opposite direction as the day before, heading to Shibuya. Shibuya is like the Times Square of Tokyo, with tons of people, stores, and restaurants. We had brunch at a small cafe where I had my first full meat platter of the trip. It was nice to have some beef, but it was very expensive. The average rice/curry plate that I had been eating was around $5, and this meal cost twice that much.

Because of the direction we left the train station, we were a few blocks away from the main shopping area, and had no idea that it even existed until we stumbled across it after walking around for a while. I finally found an ATM that took American credit cards, and I took out enough cash to last until pay day. Edson and I left the girls in a huge 7 story shopping mall that exclusively sold women's clothing, and took off to look around. We ended up in another ritzy shopping center that had all the same brands from Ginza. We should have figured that we wouldn't be able to afford anything when we saw the Maserati parked out front...

We came across a more reasonably priced store, and I bought a pair of jeans. Edson found a jacket that he wants to come back for once we get paid. Shortly after we came out of the store it started pouring rain. Fortunately, I had the umbrella that was provided in my apartment, but my pant legs still got soaked. We found another shopping mall to stay dry in, and grabbed some authentic Japanese Starbucks to drink. I had a mocha frappachino and watched the people walk by on Tokyo's most famous crosswalk. This isn't my video, but this is the same spot that we were standing and watching.

Dinner was another curry platter in a small restaurant near our apartments, and I turned in early after watching the first 15 minutes of Lost in Translation. I woke up at 5am to Visa calling me, wanting to make sure I was actually in Japan and using my card at the ATM. I decided to stay up and make some phone calls back to the US. The first day of work starts at 9:30 today!

2 comments:

  1. Tom, I just got the link from your Mom ... I'm enjoying reading your blog. Congrats on your engagement! That's great news. Good luck on the rest of your adventure in Japan. I have a very good friend and former colleague who lives in Tokyo. He works for GE Capital. I'll send you his contact info if you're interested.

    Take care,
    Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom,
    This is fun living your trip vicariously! What a huge and busy city you are in. I sent your blog to Mimi and my siblings too.
    Booker says hello. He is such a great dog. Besides having red eyes, I am enjoying his company.
    XOXO,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete